We are pleased to continue offering Online Real Time (ORT) Hilger Higher Learning classes!
Hilger Higher Learning is excited to continue offering Online Real Time Classes. This exciting endeavor, utilizing state-of-the-art DTEN smart board technology, enables us to provide the same high quality, Christ-centered education that you have come to expect…but from ANYWHERE!
If you cannot attend our On Campus classes at Hilger, then you might be the ideal Online Real Time student!
- Students from out of town
- Students with medical situations that limit their ability to attend classes
- Students who travel extensively with their families
- Students who train athletically at a high level and need a very flexible schedule
- Students who do not have reliable transportation
- Students who have been placed on a waitlist for our On Campus classes
Now you can access our LIVE classes from ANYWHERE!
Online Real Time students will learn, discuss, and engage with our teachers and On Campus students for a lively and robust academic experience. No boring videos, no outdated topics. Every class, every day, and truly LIVE. Our Online Real Time students have the privilege of being in class with their peers, participating in live discussions, and they have active, ongoing accountability and encouragement from their instructor each week throughout the school year.
Online Real Time students utilize the ZOOM platform to sign in from ANYWHERE to any existing class being offered at Hilger.
A typical Online Real Time (ORT) class looks like this:
- ORT students sign on to ZOOM, from wherever they are in the world, at the scheduled class time using the code and password provided for their class
- Teacher welcomes everyone and takes roll – the On Campus students and ORT students verbally respond with “here”
- Teacher begins a class discussion in which ORT students are able to converse synchronously with On Campus students
- Teacher hands out a quiz/test to On Campus students while ORT students take their quiz/test at home (using the quiz/test sheet being shared on the DTEN board screen or one that was sent to the ORT students prior to class)
- ORT students can be placed in breakout rooms to have small group discussions with their peers
- ORT students will have the opportunity to give presentations to the class, just like an On Campus student
- When class is over, the teacher addresses the ORT students to see if they have any further questions before signing off for that class
Our heart for our homeschool families is to provide a quality, Christ-centered education that is accessible to ALL! We have an amazing lineup of teachers that we are excited to share with more students around the world! Every one of our courses is a comprehensive course that requires no preparation from the parent, and it provides detailed assignments for all that the student needs to accomplish each week. Along with this, Hilger Higher Learning will send a report card at the end of each semester highlighting the student’s academic progress and character qualities. The parents can come alongside their student and answer any questions they may have, or they can simply have their student contact the teacher with their questions. Parents can have as much input as they desire. Even as we provide everything needed for classes, parents remain the ultimate authority and will assign letter grades and ensure their family is homeschooling legally within their local context. We encourage all of our families, especially the Online Real Time families, to join the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) for added protection and advice throughout their homeschool journey.
Requirements for all Online Real Time (ORT) students:
- All ORT students must adhere to the guidelines within the Hilger Higher Learning Handbook.
- ORT students must be on time to all classes and will be considered tardy if they are not present at the assigned class time.
- ORT students must have working video and audio capability prior to the start of class. They also must have a working printer to print off handouts, weekly homework sheets, quizzes, tests, etc.
- ORT students must prepare ahead of time by going to the class website to make sure they have all materials necessary for class that day, including all printed off classwork, quizzes, tests, lab supplies, lab sheet, etc.
- ORT students MUST be efficient at emailing documents in the PDF format (using the “notes” app provided on every iphone or any other scanning device). Each assignment must be sent with the title of the assignment, the student’s name, and the class section in the subject line. Each multiple page assignment must be merged together and sent as one file. Do not send separate files for each page of the assignment.
- Video will be required to be turned on at all times so that ORT students can be seen by the teacher.
- ORT students will remain muted at all times unless they are speaking to the class or the teacher. And they must be prepared to speak and respond in real time throughout the class, as though they were in person.
- ORT students will be held to the same standards of behavior and participation as any student attending On Campus classes at Hilger Higher Learning.
- ORT classes are all offered in Eastern Time (ET).
- ORT classes utilize the ZOOM platform, so ZOOM must be installed on the student’s device of choice.